Thursday, October 04, 2007

Oops

Hi.

I know I haven't posted in a long time. I've been weird and stuff, I guess. Sometimes I think my life is funny and other times I think I need to start over.

Like today.

I was walking Kendall down the street to her friend Thomas' house per an invitation to play for a couple of hours. I've met his mom, Julie, at the school and she seemed pretty cool. They have a hand-crafted door ornament with a big sliver "S" on it for their last name and they have harvest decorations on their front porch. I never have cared for the "S" and I categorically judge those who set out scarecrows, witches and pumpkins this time of year but actively tried not to harbor ill will on Kendall's friend's family.

So, maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut. But, then the door opened...we were politely small talking...I was trying not to stare at the flecks of paint or something she had in her dyed-black hair...my eye wandered to the five-foot stacks of boxed food directly behind her and I inserted,
"Wow, what have you got going on here?"
She replied, "It's freeze-dried food."
My response? "Going to the moon are you?" (I know, Emily. I'm so rude. Impressively rude, actually.)
It just came out.

She continued,
"Oh, it's part of our home project here. We're trying to access the space under our stairs through the hall closet, so we had to move out all the boxes of food, punch through the wall and then move the food under the stairs."

Those are the painful parts anyway. We arranged for a kid swap time and I left. I walked back home reviewing what had just happened and trying to reconcile it in my mind; Why do I assume everyone's like me? On the other hand, why does she have all that freeze-dried food? Is it left over from Y-2K?

Was it funny? I think so. Is it deplorable that I have such bad manners that are borderline Turrets? Probably. I have been charged with the development of three young lives from birth to maturity.

Funny?

'Fraid so.

1 comment:

micah said...

freeze dried food is not normal. a freezer in the garage that sets sideways and opens from the top is ok. this is weird though.