Do you ever get that amazing jolt of sense-engaging energy when you hear a song from your past? I love that feeling. I have a handful of songs that do it for me. For me, I am instantly be transported to the very specific time and place. So much so that I usually am able to remember the point of view, the clothes I wore, the room I'm in, the smells around me and the feelings.
Here are just a few:
Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue by Crystal Gayle. I remember my dad picking me up from day care/preschool and riding in the FRONT SEAT of his white company car with blue velveteen interior. Dad's terrible singing would croon away at the chorus and I would belt it out with the best four year old voice possible. The song is such a familiar one, that I've never until this moment wondered why someones eyes would turn from brown to blue? That's preposterous!
You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone. Ho-Lee-Cow--am I ever still a sucker for the power ballad. Although I think we could say that this was the genesis of nurturing the melancholy angst in me that would really "light up my life" later in my angry teen years. Just try and listen to this song and not sing along with gusto! I would sit in my room wallpapered in red, white and blue stripes on the top half, white chair rail, white paint on the bottom half, parque floor. My little record player sat on the floor and I had my red/white/blue box of 45s. The B side of my little 45 had Hasta Manana--a song you could really dance to. Especially in my white, zip-up, go-go boots. P.S. I still have all of these records. The box broke, but I found another similar one at an antique store and loaded it up with all of my childhood records. I think we actually have posted about this before, but I can't find it. P.S.S. Kendall just saw my stack of records and asked "What ARE those?"
Now, I know you two Winks remember a lot of these records, too, so it's not just me and my tottering agedness. But, in order to bring it up into the 80s, see if you don't get tingly all over when you see and hear this! This is a very portentous element of our TV heritage! Am I right?? or am I right?
Friday, October 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I thought I didn't know what this Space Coaster thing was - then out of no where I got very strong memory feeling vibes. It happened when the lady waves. Do you have the Take Me On a Journey record? Oh, and The Cowboy needs Horse? Hasta Manana always finds its way in my head at weird times.
Don't forget about Hot Stuff. I had some pretty intense choreography for that one (directed by Emily, of course).
wow...I can sing the great space coaster without even watching the video. that was a painful time travel. and I used to sing "donuts make my brown eyes bluuuuuueeee". I am, to this day, still quite gifted with interpreting lyrics. Ask my dancers.
I said something to the dancers recently about "The pips" as in gladys knight and...and they said "who are the pips?"
I had to sit down. I slumped actually.
Post a Comment