Thursday, November 09, 2006

Vocabulary Enlightenment

So, Nick, Kendall and I visited our new Chandler Public Library and were delighted with what we found. I just really like a friendly, spacious, well-organized, nicely muraled (meaning that they have cool wall murals) book space. We didn't have a lot of time to spend on this day, but I it was on my list to get a new library card and so I was determined to check it off said list.

I guess we're geniuses when it comes to using the library because we all walked out with exactly what we wanted with very little effort. Kendall, age 5 1/2, found a Caldecot book about a Navaho girl who ran with wild horses (very interest approriate considering she loves horses and this is actual Navaho country), I found Catcher in the Rye (I've never read it and Micah claims it's his favorite book and so far, it's pretty funny) and Nick, age 2 1/2, found Big Trucks, Big Wheels.

As you know, I have a thing for vocabulary words and when I read Lolita I was inspired to look up every single word I didn't know and it was a very long list. It's really a shame that there aren't more circumstances to employ the phrase animated merkin. Anyway, Nick's book had a vocabulary list in the end that will make me giggle for at least a week. I've never heard most of these before I guess because this is my first experience with boy children or I've never hung out with boys who wanted to talk truck, so I publish them here for your enlightenment:
bobtail: to drive a tractor without a trailer attached
bubblegummers: children
bubble machine: a police car with lights on its roof
coffee pot: a retaurant
draggin' wagon: a tow truck
hole in the wall: a tunnel
nap trap: somewhere to stop to sleep
portable parking lot: a car carrier
pumpkin: a flat tire
roller skate: a small car
winkin' blinkin': a school bus

No comments: