Monday, July 09, 2007

Takin' one for the team

So. I spent some time with double-L AKA Mom today. The kids and I thought we'd go over and entertain her since she's confined to the couch due to her recent foot surgery. I really can't bear to fill anyone in if you don't know why she had foot surgery, but just know that this is round two on the same foot because the first surgery didn't take.

As some sisters have experienced, Mom is not the most gracious of patients. Instead of being bored and pitiful, she develops a very surly and demanding demeanor to the tune of, "My ice melted. I need more ice in my water!" and "Where's the lemon in my tea? At the bottom? I can't see it and did you squeeze it first? I need more lemon in my tea." I brought her a grocery bag of movies to watch and she responded with "I don't want all those. I have channels to watch. I don't need those. What a mess. You know, believe it or not I do sit in the quiet and don't have the boob tube on all the time." I believe it not.

Some may wonder, "Why Jenny. Why don't you bring your poor, invalid mother a meal." Well, inexperienced one, she doesn't eat other people's food from their home. She'll eat a total strangers food from an industrial restaurant, but not my food or anyone else's. So, I thought this was a genius idea that she would allow me to prepare a meal of her choice from her refrigerator in her kitchen. What did she pick? Taco Salad. Hashifa's favorite. Believe this not.


It was quite a surreal adventure; going through her vegetable drawer where she keeps the veggies in the plastic bags from the produce department. Washing and tearing the romaine lettuce the way she always does with the hand towel lined bowl. Going through her drawers looking for utensils and bowls. Cooking the hamburger the way she does with the taco seasoning using that terrible, terrible, melted, spoon from 1985. Opening the cans and jars that make up the contents of this salad.


And then, the piece de resistance: Eating it on TV trays in front of the TV complete with the red cup containing your beverage of choice. I have to admit that I requested the TV trays because I wanted the full effect. But they only had to get one more out, because two were already set up from previous use. And not because she's on the couch for a few weeks.


So anyways, all in all, it was a successful day. We watched some I Love Lucy episodes and laughed together at the candy making one. It was funny.

That's all.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I love the details. It is as if I was actually a fly on the wall. But I wonder...umm I brought a meal to her when she broke her leg...she said she liked it...was it true? I am very curious.

hashifa vachoo said...

jenn, I'm sorry to say that there is a 90-99% chance that she threw it away...or my Dad ate the whole thing.

EMILY said...

oh, jenny.

Jenny said...

Yes, I actually saw this happen the other night when her neighbor, whom she likes a lot, brought her a meal. She said, "Joy knows I just want protein and salad and what does she bring me? spaghetti and baked meat balls and dessert!" While she didn't throw it away, she didn't eat it and Dad ate most of it and the rest was frozen to be thrown out later.

Jenn said...

wow...I would have never thought. Let it be known that if anyone wants to bring me a meal, anytime, for any reason, I will eat it and POSSIBLY share it with my children.