Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Age of Irony

I've been trying to add a few things to my daily rituals in order to stay healthy, maintain my joi de vie, beauty--you know. This morning I was struck with the irony of several of my efforts.

Bedtime: I go to bed at 10:00 p.m. because I hear that we don't get the amount of sleep we really need to allow our body and mind to recharge. I also get up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. This is what old people do.

Hobbies: I found myself cutting out quiltting squares out of old pants and jeans last night. I was enjoying the fact that I was making something new and re-purposing something old. I tried to find a program to watch while I did this, but there wasn't anything worth watching. I lamented the old days of prime-time Little House and faithful I Love Lucy reruns.
This is what old people do.

Mornings: I sat at the table this morning drinking my coffee, doing a crossword (a new effort to maintain good brain function--but they're really hard!) and eating my yogurt, banana and english muffin. The thing that sealed the deal was when I opened up my M-T-W-T-F pill dispenser to take my pills; vitimin E, fish oil, flax seed oil, ironically, taken for anti-aging.

As I strive for maintaining youth,
I am old.

1 comment:

EMILY said...

you are not old!