Tuesday, May 02, 2006

We Owned Philly! (updated w/ pix link)

Okay, I'm not very geeky-smart this time and couldn't figure out how to post a photostream of pictures and didn't want to just choose a couple, so you'll have to jump through the hoops and login to Flickr to see the pix. Copy and paste this URL:
www.flickr.com/photos/29272847@N00/show

Where do I start? How can I explain what happened? My trip was so great, that when I think of all we did the memory images have a hazy glow and we're all smiling and silently laughing and moving in slow motion. Kind of like My Fair Lady when she dreams about killing Henry Higgins.

I guess I'll tell about it by referencing the very accurate and complete itinerary posted last time.

Thursday: Yes, I got up at 3:30 a.m., drove to Grand Rapids, arriving at 5:00 a.m., departed GRR at 6:00 a.m. and arrived in Philadelphia at 9:00 a.m. Emily was late. No big whoop, she arrived on the train and we got in a taxi and rode with the lovely Indian gentleman through the ghetto and then to the Lamigraws beautiful house. We hauled my 60 lb. suitcase up the three flights of stairs, put my stuff in the pretty yellow room with the cute cafe curtains and then walked around the corner to the trolley stop where we trollied to Redding Terminal Market...

Okay, this post will never end if I just confirm the itinerary, so I'm going to go a different way. I'm going to report highlights:

Highlight: The RTM was great. Micah hung out with us, too, and he bought a spoon! And we ran into Jarf! We shopped for our snacky dinner ingredients at the cool produce stand and bought cheese from the Amish.
Lowlight: The sandwich man thought I was an idiot and Emily was embarrassed. I rec'd my first taste of the Philadelphia "they're not rude, it's just their way" business.

Highlight: Meeting the Lamigraw's friends! Really nice! Really interesting! Really fun!
Lowlight: Not only losing badly at Ticket to Ride, but being mocked for my lack-luster strategy. They are cut-throat!

Highlight: Great music! The Boats rocked (www.greenlinecafe.com/music)! The whole West Philadelphia arts community right in their own neighborhood is really cool. I bought 3 CDs. I am so down with Indy rock.
Lowlight: We finished our music tour with an impromptu crashing of Fergy's Pub where they were having a Buck Owens tribute. Emily cried, she was so touched. Rough crowd. Bad music.

Highlight: Getting to see Emily in action at the Prison; she's sensational, of course!
Lowlight: Her work outfit is unfortunate. And I'm not sure her efforts are entirely appreciated by 12 year olds who when asked where the word penitentiary originates from they answer, penetration. Nice, kids, really nice.

Highlight: Seeing the sights! We did local stuff, not really touristy stuff, but we still saw some interesting Philadelphia landmarks (City Hall, "the Rocky steps," some square, a big clothespin...)
Lowlight: When we weren't taking the Trolley we were freaking walking at break-neck speeds for hours at a time! Holy cow! I like exercise, but there should be calorie boosting snack bars and foot massage stands on every corner!

Highlight: The food! We ate Ethiopian, grilled Cogswald sandwiches, braised baby artichokes, goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto sandwiches. Everything was yummy!
Lowlight: Fake sausage is yucky. And, I didn't get to experience the tofu hoagie.

I'm uploading the pictures to Flickr right now of the weekend (I'll update my post later with the link). We really had fun, Emily and Micah are great hosts and I hope I can return the hostesship when they make a road trip out here with everyone this summer.

No comments: