Wednesday, May 30, 2007

While we wait for Emily...


I give you Kindergarten Graduation

I did not have a Kindergarten Graduation. Natalie did not have a Kindergarten Graduation. Did you? Let me tell you, Kindergarten Graduation ROCKS!

I know I'm a sucker for the sentimental setting, but I te' you whut--I was teary the entire time. It was so cute to see these little kids in there construction paper graduation caps with yarn tassles. They had all of these songs memorized about counting and letters. They had all these little recitations memorized. Kendall and her two classmates said together in their little sing-songy voices: "Today we want you to pretend that you are in Kindergarten. Then you will see just what we do everyday when we're at school." And, have ever seen the Macarena done by a group full of Kindergarteners to help them count by fives? Try it, it's fun. Sing it a little bit more like "One little, two little three little indians" but do the Macarena moves, big finish with a little shimmy singing "We can count by fives!" Catchy, no?

It was pretty sweet, the whole thing. Especially watching poor little Kendall trying to snap and clap with her splinted arm. What? I didn't tell you about the tragedy of Butt Power, the game? Well, Natalie invented a game where in Kendall lays on bed while Natalie stands on the end of the bed and falls backward with her butt onto Kendall. After five times, Kendall had had enough and put her arm out to break Natalie's fall and that's when her right forearm bent back below the wrist causing her bones not to break, but to bend. Technically, she has several buckle fractures in both her ulna and her radius. Butt Power is a bad, bad game. Don't do it.

She came home with a little Kindergarten Memory book with a little samples of their work from the past year. (Anybody noticing the monotony with which I'm using the adjective little) I though some might enjoy some of the cuteness, obscurity and just plain creepiness from the section entitled: Poems I have learned.

A Cactus. Did you ever see a cactus, a cactus, a cactus?/Did you ever see a cactus a cactus so tall?/Did you ever see a cactus, a cactus, a cactus?/Did you ever see a cactus like the Saguaro?

My Teddy Bear. My teddy bear sleeps with me./He keeps me company./I hold him tight,/All through the night./My teddy bear sleeps with me.

Cookies. Cookies in a jar,/Cookies in a jar,/Not nutritious,/Just delicious,/Cookies in a jar.

I AM ME! I am not/a cracodile,/I am not/a bee,/I am not/a monkey./I am me!

I like... I like popcorn,/I like stew,/I like me,/I like you,/I like pizza,/And potatoes, too,/I like me/And I like you!

And so, get in touch with your inner Kindergartener and share some memories with your friends today. And check around and see whobody's mom ever wore shoes like this to any graduation of any kind. They were spectactular.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

You're the best Jenny. Your blog brings a smile to my eyes and tears to my mouth. (???) Whobody has nice calves...does she play tennis?

Jenny said...

Not sure about tennis, but she walked in those heals like she was doing a reverse snow plow, so maybe she skis?

EMILY said...

jenny, this post was so cool and funny. i like all of it. i acnnot believe that a mom wore those shoes! when i saw that picture you took, i totally lol :) hugs and kisses, emily

Jenny said...

emily, thank you for the very thorough comment. i think i hate you now. f.u. jenny.