Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Food Snobs

First of all, let me just comment to my sisters that the last two entries have been highly entertaining. Loved that teacher gift, that's classic. It's a perfect lead in for my topic.

Emily and I started this conversation yesterday about how we're food snobs, but ya know what, I'm glad, damn it! My 3 year old received a McDonald's play set for Christmas last night and today they've been playing with it. I wondered what they would think of it, seeing as though they never eat fast food, and thankfully they made me proud. Kendall "ordered" a granola bar and some cheese from Natalie. That, my friends, is not on the menu at Mickey Ds.

Last night, at the Fuller's, we had a lovely meal which I plated for Sharon. It was my job to remove the layer of stuffing/dressing type stuff from the top layer in the crockpot, then fish out the chicken pieces and then ladle the remaining liquid of chicken juices and cream of mushroom soup into a gravy boat. This was served with mashed potatoes made with a cube of margerine and a braided bread loaf that was bright red and green. I will say that dear Sharon made me my favorite brussel sprouts and that there was a salad on the table (swimming in some sort of Hidden Valley creamy concoction) and Nick enjoyed the corn (and I was able to enjoy it today when I changed his diaper--it somes out whole kernals? How nutritious can that be?) Bless her heart, she made some comment about how when she comes over to our house that we always serve such fancy meals. I wanted to say, "But Sharon, we just serve our meat separate from our grains and vegetables and eat things that God made as He made them." I mean, come on! Who was the ad wizard that invented the crockpot? Emily, are ya with me? Was it the same joker that invented the Fry-Daddy?

I'm an ungrateful wretch, I know. It was lovely to be invited and it's always nice not to have to make a meal and Scott came home with a handsome slate blue microfiber/suede dress shirt and a 3-in-1 tool that measures, calculates and levels. And then there's the McDonald's play set...

Keep on keepin' on, my sistas! Down with canned food, boxed powdered meals and partially hydrogenated oils! Stick to the outer edge of the grocery store and keep you gaurd up! Afterall, even packaged, shredded cheese stealthily slumbers with formaldahyde to keep it from sticking together.

1 comment:

EMILY said...

thank you, deadface. i was getting impatient and was about ready to start my own blog with the "f" word in the title, that's sole purpose was defile the names of two whores named "jenny" and "hashifa vachoo". i'm glad, as you should be, that i did not have to resort to that. green and red bread? i would pay money to see what kind of obviously disgusted face you made. keep fighting the good fight, and godspeed out there in middle "fry daddy" america.