Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Newsflash: Bubby turns violent!

Today, as I was holding Nick passing by Kendall and Bubby, Bubby jumped up and body slammed Nick. I said, "Kendall! That wasn't nice, don't do that again."
"I didn't do it, Bubby just did do it!" she protested.
"Kendall, now that's enough. You hit Nick with Bubby, and I don't want you to do it again." I stated firmly. Kendall then ran off very frustrated crying, "I didn't do it!"
Her usual mistake/reslove mode is to go off for about 2 minutes and return contritely saying, "Mommy, I am sorry that I just did do that." I respond in-kind with the appropriate "I forgive you, thank you for saying so, let's do better..." Not so today. She disappeared into her room until I found her about 10 minutes later. She was putting all of her animals to sleep and they, with their blankets, dotted her floor. She was on her knees staring at the lava lamp/night light that Chris and James got her and didn't care to look at me when I came in. Finally, she said, "Bubby just did accidentally hit Nick." As if I had misjudged the entire situation.

What do I do? She's really into imagination right now and very carefully acts out elaborate make believe situations like horseback riding with Bubby. Why, just yesterday, Kendall made me look at a picture that Bubby colored (uncommonly good, I might add). And, while we were in Staples yesterday, she insisted on lifting a horse into our cart. This morning she made Bubby breakfast before she ate her own. She had to go and get carrots, bananas and yogurt for her after she had put her in her seat on the stairs.

But somebody needs to be held accountable for high crimes, like hitting. Do I give Bubby or Kendall a time out? Do I make an appointment for them both with a therapist? Is her commitment to the surreal a gift or will I read in the paper one day in 20 years: WOMAN AND SMALL WHITE BUNNY ROB BANK.

Sisters, please post some advice for me.

1 comment:

EMILY said...

my advice is threefold:
#1 encourage the crap out of bubby's human attributes. the stories make me laugh so hard i almost hack up a lung.

#2 get kendall some psychotropics. they will enhance her experiences staring into her lava lamp night-light.

#3 give bubby a severe beating in public. take notes when you do. it would be interesting to see if kendall reacts the way bubby feels; i.e. humiliated, traumatised forever, eternal resentment for you etc...

micah thinks you should simply put bubby in a "time out", but that sounds kind of boring compared to a beating in wal-mart.