Our Small Group met this afternoon. Our church is doing a six-week bit called 40 days of the Fruitful Life. We're all encouraged to join or host a small group during this time. We're hosting one. I made dump cake, coffee and tea (in my new tea pot with a little infuser column that you put whole leaf tea into...mmmm, very cute and cool). In order to be in our small group, we added a stipulation that you had to be willing to share a stupid human trick. We did this to weed out the dull people, so we thought, but, nobody took me seriously and they just blankly stared at me when I stood in the middle of the room and demonstrated that I can put my entire fist in my mouth. Sisters, this is a good trick and I've brought down many a house with this one, but people just got nervous and quiet and then someone quietly said, "Are you serious?" Yes, damn it! I am serious. I intend to use this time to learn from one another how we can become more fruitful and I intend to do so with a group of people that will be happy to be in my house and eat my dump cake and show a little enthusiasm. If forcing you to make a fool of yourself is the only way to make you stop taking yourselves so seriously and wake up to the fact that life is fun and God likes a good stupid human trick now and again, then so be it! Just because it's 10 degrees outside, doesn't mean we need to reserve all of our resources for keeping warm. Our ancestors may have done so for this reason, but we are a new generation with warm coats and heaters. Redirect your auxillery resources for having a little fun and being a little crazy, for crying out loud! Am I wrong? I feel like the only muppet on Sesame Street here! Too many Mr. Hoopers and Marias.
I'll let you know how future meetings go. Too bad Wesleyans don't drink, I think it would help here.
Sunday, January 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
pack up your teapot and MOVE!
Post a Comment