Thursday, January 06, 2005

Oh, THAT'S what it means

SHLEMIEL (shleh - MEEL) Yiddish
SHLIMAZEL (shlih - MAZ - zull) Yiddish

Definition: The schlemiel is a fool; the schlimazel is forever messing things up, while the schlemazel is always on the wrong end of the schlemiel's foul-ups.

Usage: That schlemiel can get lost driving around the block. Take it from the schlimazel who gets a ride with him every day.

Worth Noting: Both words entered common American conversation with the theme song to TV's Laverne and Shirley, which kicked off with "Schlemiel, schlemazel, Hasenpfeffer Incorporated..."

Now if I know my sisters (and i think i do) isn't that a bit of trivia that just satisfies you to the deepest part of your Lamirand ancestry?

2 comments:

EMILY said...

it certainly does. huh. i think that that bit of knowledge was the bit i missed out on when i dropped out of college. education...check! thanks spawny! i will now reside over my own commencement exercise by eating candy and watching oprah.

Jenny said...

I literally teared up reading that. I feel like I've found a lost family member I never knew existed. I'm all tingly and warm inside. Thank you for completing my unknown journey. Teach me more, oh sage one.