Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

You may be surprised to know that my youngest issue (Nicholas) was placed on a train and then transferred to a cab and subsequently an L-train and a plane bound for Phoenix. He was accompanied by the illustrious Hashifa Vachoo and a few angels. It all came together in a whirl last night when Chris picked Nick up and hugged him and said, "Nicholas, don't you want to come home with Chrissy?" She then turned to me with that crazy Vachaloo grin and started convincing me why it was such a perfect plan for her to take him with her and then bring him back with James and Christine come back for the church conference in Chicago in two weeks. "Gee-nee," she pleaded, "you have to let me!" It hurt my heart to think about my little son leaving me for two weeks. How could I do it? How could I put him on that train and not have his smiles and his giggles and his boyish delight in all things on wheels...and his naps restricting my day and his constant need to be fed and his love for un-shelving all things shelved. I then found my resolve and packed his belongings in the most difficult and painful 5 minutes (less than) of my life.

We then plotted, planned and drilled for their complicated journey. By the time we finished, she could unfold and fold the stroller in less 10 seconds with one hand, she had memorized L-stations, orange lines, taxi instructions, flight numbers and train schedules by heart. She was fully stocked for any traveling and/or baby disaster and was prepared to sustain the caloric intake of Nick and up to 3 additional adults with your standard diapers, wipes, cheerios, string cheese and water supply. At 7:30 a.m. we departed for the train station. We went over a few last minute details such as: how to go to the bathroom while in the custody of an infant and how to get through security since she'd have to pull him out of the stroller, fold it up and put it and all carry-ons on the conveyor and then walk three feet and reload (thanks, osama). I was confident that she was confident and of course I reminded her that Grace abounds and take the help of any kind stranger (after completing a brief and subtle background check). It would be tricky, it would be challenging, but she would prevail!

We went in the train station to await the train and say our good-byes. I was holding it together. "This is great! They'll have so much fun! I'll enjoy the extra time with Kendall! They'll be fine! I'm sharing, that's good." These are my final thoughts. Enter Angel #1, Bev! (a side note here, everyone shortens their names 'round here in another attempt to conserve the much needed energy to stay warm, I guess. i.e., Barb, Bev, Shar). Her son had the day off from school and so she was taking he and a friend to Chicago on the train for the day. I know she'll be able to help Chris on the train! But then, Angel #2, Owen. Owen is a retired doctor who volunteers in Natalie's school and reads with kids. I help in Natalie's class on Friday and see him in her class each week and he is so sweet and kind. In talking with him he tells us that he's on his way to Florida and is catching a flight out of Midway! He says he doesn't know how to get from the train station to the airport, but he'll just have to figure it out when he gets there. I, in my over-the-top way exclaim with great fervor: "Owen! Have I got the deal for you!" Chris, the boy scout that she is, knows the tricks to the taxi and the L all the way to Midway and Owen was more than happy to help her out with her bags and baby! How perfect is that? God is good! So, after quickly getting Christine and Nick on the train and being rudely hustled off the train, almost leaving Kendall, we waived and blew kisses.

So now, I await the call that Christine and her Carry-ons have arrived in Phoenix and we will all anticipate her side of the story and how she survived.

No comments: