Sunday, May 15, 2005

Backsliding--Is that one word or two?

I talked with Hashifa Vachoo today and confessed my day of sloth and overindulgence in chocolate cake. You'd think that getting back to my roots of laying around watching meaningless TV and eating crap would be enjoyable and welcomed, but I kind of feel gross. Emily, you'll be pleased to know that Scott and I made that My Favorite Chocolate Cake from the Bon Appetit magazine yesterday. It was a lot of work. Scott did most of it. I toasted, husked and chopped the hazelnuts. I also gave my culinary expertise related to the finer points of beating eggs properly, folding versus stirring and checking the cake for doneness. As for eating it, well friends, I did that and I did it well and I plan to do it some more. This cake was like a huge slab of See's candy. It really did melt in your mouth and the yummy contrast of bitter nuts and dark orange chocolate was sex-ish (I know you're appalled by this adverb, but it was so good you really have to create a new word in order to properly describe it).

My morning started out with half a piece of the above described dessert and a glass of water. Then the kids and I headed out for late service. That went well until I lost track of Natalie and Kendall only to hear in the distance the sound of children screaming in glee which I followed into the sactuary to discover the horror of my two children chasing each other and screaming through the sanctuary. Lovely. We went home, ate some lunch, Nick went down for a nap, Scott and I took a nap, the girls played, Scott went to Sam's Club and Jenny spent the rest of the afternoon watching Style Star: Brittany Spears, Style Star: Jessica Simpson, some Goldie Hawn/Chevy Chase movie with Barry Manilow singing a bunch of songs, VH1: Movie Mistakes, Style Star: Brittany Murphy (I skipped Nicole Richie because I can't stand her), Seinfeld, parts of Everybody Loves Raymond, the tail end of Twister and the end of some celebrity golf tournament. How does Heather Locklear stay so hot? She's so old and yet she's a size 2 and has abs of steel? She probaly doesn't indulge in the cake and TV thing...Oh ya, somewhere in there I managed to slice off many bite sized pieces of another whole piece of cake throughout the day. So, I wasn't totally sedentary.

The kids are fed, bathed and in bed and so now we're topping off the day with a little back to back movie marathon and some hot tubbin'. Tomorrow is Monday and I will find my purpose and my To-Do List. Thank goodness.

What'd you do?

4 comments:

EMILY said...

did the cake look like the picture?

hashifa vachoo said...

like i told ya earlier: sometimes, we got dip down real low so mediocrity is something to strive for again. not that your life is mediocre, you know what I mean.

Jenny said...

Yes, the cake did look like the picture except that we couldn't find the candied orange rind so it was sans orange.

Speaking of striving toward things: Emily, your fans loved the morning hair, so let's see some more. I'm thinking a daily posting of morning hair.

EMILY said...

i dunno. my morning hair this morning was far, far, far from fantastic. it kind of looked like judy garland's hair when she does a hobo number.