
There's a $250 per flower fine for picking tulips, Nick.


"But I don't have any money!"

Scott asked me if I wanted to drive by our old house on East 33rd Street where there was a neighbor who sewed Dutch costumes. Each year she would place this butt-ugly sign in her yard. It was a side of a cardboard box ripped off with black marker, in bad handwriting that you could barely read: "Dutch Costumes." It was attached to some sort of wire frame with two huge jumper cable looking clips. After the first year the graphic designer in me was freaking out about the graphic horror and tragedy of this sign so the evangelist in me and the graphic designer in me got together and we decided that it would be a way to serve my neighbor by making her a new sign. I designed, printed, laminated and mounted this beautiful, easy to read attractive marketing tool onto a sturdy stick and knocked on her door to present her with a smile and a sign. She acted very typically Dutch (cold, rude and non-expressive) took my sign and shut the door. I thought, "Oh well, I did a nice thing, so that's enough." The next day I drove by her house and there was my sign...clipped crooked over the top of the other one with the same awful clips.

Literally a "Kinder Garten"

Anyhow, farewell junk wagons, tour buses, street scrubbers, Kinderplaats, Pretplaats, Marketplaats, children's parades, band parades, fireworks, really badly recorded tapes (I kid you not, tapes) of old Dutch dance music, girls dressed as Dutch boys dancing with girls dressed as Dutch girls. And of course acres and miles and streets lined with tulips of unending variety. Hopefully, when and if we move from here there will be some similar cheezy expression of local heritage that draws people from all corners of the earth for a $5.00 piece of funnel cake.

6 comments:
j.j.: you are not dutch. you're confused, you're actually a dyke. get it?
jenny: that is a beautiful post. don't be sad about leaving-- there are probably a lot of dutch, nazi war criminals hiding out there.
why are you guys still wearing long sleeves? doesn't nick have any other clothes? By the way, Emily said he has a dumb haircut.
shut up spawny!! you suck!!!
Lloyd Christmas, anyone?
you guys both suck! have your own g.d. kids and let's see how you mess 'em up.
What the beep!
Hi
I read that you visited the Tulip Time klompendancing.
Did you ever see any dancer loose or break one of his/her klompen? I am from Holland, Europe and I collect everything that has to do with Dutch klompen. I still miss een pic of a dancer losing/breaking a clog
Kind regards
Annemarie
Post a Comment