I really love the library. I love ordering my books from the library's website and having them email me when they're all ready for me to pick up at the counter. I love my new old Merle Haggard music and my Funny Girl soundtrack music; from the library. I love that you can download e-books and audio stuff from the library website. I love getting exactly what I want and not having to spend any money on it. What a system!
I really love my produce co-op. I love the Santa-like surprise on Saturday morning to see what kind of stuff I get and wonder how I'm going to use it all. I love that my 9 grain bread consists of all real food ingredients and only costs $2.
I love my new found commitment to reduce my carbon footprint (I'm not sure I fully understand what this is, but it sounds very smart of me). Wax paper, reusable containers, refillable water bottles, etc. I love bringing my groceries home in my reusable grocery bags. I love riding my bike up to the girls' school or over to the library. I love that they love to ride their bikes to school. I love having no-drive days. I love carpooling to preschool.
I love skirts but not so much peasant skirts which seem more communist/hippie-ish. I look terrible in peasant shirts. I shave. And I believe deeply in washing my hair and wearing deodorant (although the thought of making my own deodorant is kind of an interesting thought). I also like pedicures and Origins make-up and occasionally flat-ironing my hair which seems a little bourgeois. But, I do love hand-me-downs, Savers deals, garage sales and passing on clothes and toys to people.
I love the idea of a commune at first (the work-sharing, the similar values, the isolation without being alone, etc.) but the idea of it starts to break down for me pretty quickly. I also just read a little about the Oneida Community which is pretty freaky, so all in all, it's probably not such a great idea.
So, I think I'm a communist or a hippie-at-heart or just cheap. Or a democrat. Yikes.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I like your post. very honest. i think that sometimes when we try to put ourselves into boxes and define who we are, we start to realize that we are full of inconsistencies. it is perfectly reasonable to appreciate free services like libraries and cheap good food from co-ops. who wouldn't? but then of course there is the painful realization that comes with realizing that we like things we aren't supposed to like. like socialism. but then you have to ask yourself. why am i not supposed to like socialism, is it because it is bad, or is it because i was told it is bad. The truth is that socialism has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans, because both of those parties are Capitalists. Think about it, there aren't any multi-millionaire socialists, it's antithetic to the entire idea of socialism, and there aren't any members of congress that aren't multi-millionaires. Really what the Republicans and Democrats have done, is define themselves by moral viewpoints, e.g. abortion, social welfare, gay marriage, etc. All the while they are both completely anti anything that harms their money. Really its all about money, and as a common person, there really shouldn't be anyone who isn't a socialist. Isn't it nice to consume only what you need to be comfortable and to share what you don't? Socialism as an ideal is a good thing, as a Government, historically it has not. The Soviet and Chinese communists have given it a bad name. Capitalism is a good thing when it comes to protecting the rights of the individual, but it is bad when it comes to protecting the rights of the many. Socialism is the exact opposite. All of us are a little of both, and none of us are really truly Republicans or Democrats.
Um, well said badgerick. And congratualtions, I think you just made Jenny's head explode. -E
Holy crap, Christine Lamirand!!! Of course I remember you, how could I forget you! How did you find my blog? I'm so excited you did! I was actually thinking about you the other day, how crazy is that?! Good to hear from you! KIT
Jen, I recently got in touch with my inner democrat too. It was disconcerting at first, but I'm making peace with it now. Its all ok. I have all these little groups on facebook to confuse the people who don't know me well enough. I am in a prolife group, and also a NO on prop 8 group. I have totally become a love hippie myself. Want to start a club? I'll make membership cards. If you aren't having a flashback right now, you're fired!
Post a Comment