
The Invitation: a collaboration of genius by Emily and Jenny. Apologies to James for the lines at the bottom of the T-shirt; I thought they lent a certain "movement" and animation. He said the lines made it look dumb.

Yes, Natalie turned seven. We all survived skating with 16 other six and seven year olds. When I called to make the reservations, I was informed very carefully by the gentleman who answered, "Yes, for $70, 30 kids can come and skate. We'll start out with an All Skate, then move into the Hokey Pokey. We'll turn 'em all around and they'll skate the opposite direction. Then they'll have a break where you can have cake and presents. We'll bring 'em back in and Shoot the Duck, Couples Skate and finish out with the Mexican Hat Dance." Now, sisters, does this not bring back fond memories of the balding, seven foot tall gentleman in the spandex skating pants and referee shirt sporting figure eights and fancy backwards skating skills at the Rollerama? Mom reminded me that the short, fat gentleman (and I use these terms loosely, as they were all most likely pedophiles) was his brother and (use Mom's voice here) "they owned that place!" Emily reminded me about "suicide drinks," ya know, where you put a little bit of all the soda into your one drink...ooooo....We also remembered the seriousness of the boy's races.
On the inside I think I must be very blonde. Somehow I invited everyone to a party from 3:00-4:30 but wrote it down in my book as 3:30 to 5:00. When we arrived "early" at 3:20, everyone was there waiting. I was so embarrased. I went around profusely apologizing to each parent and they were all very gracious except one: Granny to Betsy, our neighbor-girl, says to me, "We forgive you." Gee, thanks. Whatever!

The Skaters

After that little hiccup, the rest came off as planned (although we also left the juice boxes in the frig at home and forgot the spoons, DOH!). Kendall did not like falling down, so she and Nick were pushed around the rink in strollers. They loved it. I still got it. I can skate backwards, turn around in circles. I refrained from doing any sow-cows or other acrobatic potential disasters. Things haven't changed much. The skates are still ugly brown, the music is really loud, the disco lights are really cheezy and the skate rink guy is bald and lacks any relative personality. Really, I find it comforting.

See?

1 comment:
man,that looks so fun! maybe i'll have a rollerama birthday party. i would wear really short shorts. micah told me a funny story: he was using the bathroom at a thrift store in denver a couple years back. standing in the bathroom he had a flashback, "i've peed my pants in here. i know i peed my pants in here." he later found out that the thrift store used to be the roller rink where he skated as a kid.
Post a Comment